Land Reform Edict of 70 B.A.

Kingdom of Balian

EDICT DE REFORMA AGRÁRIA
Edict on Land Reform

70 B.A. | 1937 I.T.

yNeytkhDrlWgswGil7JTFkqjoaNcNGNJTsop7H-6a-7k1zGnAlyfjnsGk-7NayvAX1VsglWHDYgUQQeL6yxI1kxQBPnxlqAQwotIUkd7dotcolHCO1sFAzda6d-fEn9hhlQTewLBYsbGdH71ndv3rgI
GAcA_ns7bxcVctwJnTKxA6UD4FsWOFgLhY302uDJf86cZEfF4bEJqi3g-JfxRIvv48BjqYIaAH5MIYB91eIlJVGl6ioG4jO8vEtpKuudUkMeAh0_hCsw4cTlcXhQ3yeifq_wxMsLOj2L3WjyBw

Table of Contents:

Article I - Allocation of Vassal Lands

Article II - Acceptable Usage of Vassal Lands

Article III - Taxation of Vassal Lands

Article I: Allocation of Vassal Lands

Art. I.01: On Peer Lands
I.01A - Peers shall bear the right to construct estates or holdfasts within plots granted to them by the Crown, up to the following sizes, based on their Rank:

a. Baronies 75x75 (5625)

b. Viscounties 100x100 (10000)

c. Counties 125x125 (15625)

d. Duchies 150x150 (22500)

I.01B - Peers may have other shapes of plot, so long as their total area falls within the size class for their rank.

I.01C - Exceptions regarding land shapes may be granted if there is unusable land within the plot granted to the peers. These exceptions however must be given consent to by the Crown.

I.01D - Peers may request expansions to their land grants in proportion to their minas contribution for the land. However, this request may not exceed the size of the capital city of Portoregne. The total percentage of the requested expansion may not exceed 40 percent for baronies, 30 percent for Viscounties, 20 percent for counties and duchies.

Art. I.02: On Armada and Commoner Land Grants

I.02A - Soldiers of the Armada may be awarded small rural estates by the Admiralty and Crown for years of good service, falling into the following sizes based upon their rank:

a. Master Gunners and Lieutenants: 20x20 (400)

b. Commodores: 30x30 (900)

c. Knights, Knight Commodores, and Admirals: 40x40 (1600)

I.02B - Commoner families of good standing and size may appeal to the Crown for a small rural estate as well, not exceeding the size of 30x30 (900).

Art. I.03: On Farmland and Beautification

I.03A - Vassals are free to have farmlands, mills, orchards, gardens, and forests that extend outside of their claim, so long as they are approved by the Crown and Domus Ministri.

I.03B - If these lands extend outside their claim, then they are considered free to use by citizens of the Kingdom.

Article II: Acceptable Use of Vassal Lands

Art. II.01: On Building Standards

II.01A - The Crown and its Domus Ministri retain the responsibility to review and approve or deny building plans at their discretion, to assure a consistent standard of quality among Vassal builds.

II.01B - The Domus Ministri may provide aid to Vassals to assure builds meet the standards they set out.

II.01C - Vassals must present build plans to the Domus Ministri for final thoughts, approval of the build plan and location, and for the final taxation rate (as outlined in Art. III.02) 

Art. II.02: On Defense

II.02A - All lands of the Kingdom of Balian must be kept secure via proper fortifications. These fortifications must be either built by the Peer or worked out with the Armada during settlement.

II.02B - If deemed defensible enough by the Armada, the Grand Admiral may be granted access to the defensive parts of a Vassal keep. Others in the Armada may be granted access as deemed necessary by the Admiralty.

II.02C - If defenses are provided by the Armada, the location of the Fort must be agreed upon ahead of time by the Peer and Armada leadership, and may not encroach upon the Peer’s claim without express permission from the Peer.

II.02D - The Armada retains the right to build additional fortifications instead of using Peer holdings for defense, but cannot encroach on Peer plots without the express permission of the Peer while building additional forts.

Art. II.03: On Hamlets and Outbuildings

Article II.03A - Definitions

A. Hamlets are defined as additional residential buildings outside of the main keep or estate, for the keeping of a Peer’s family, wards, or people to whom they provide patronage.

B. Outbuildings are defined as non-residential buildings, such as smithies, stables, docks, boathouses, fisheries, workshops, chapels, mills, barns, etc. for the use of the Vassal and his people.

Art II.03B - Constructions of Hamlets are reserved for Peers. Constructions of Outbuildings are reserved for Peers and Armada grants; however, permissions for outbuildings may be given to commoners through Royal assent.

Art II.03C - Along with the rest of the structure per Art. II.01, Hamlets and Outbuildings must be reviewed and approved by the Domus Ministri and Crown prior to construction, and the number of residences should generally not exceed five.

Art II.03D - Outbuildings cannot contain or be used as brick-and-mortar shops plot stalls.

Article III: Taxation of Vassal Lands

Art. III.01: On Down Payments

III.01A - Peers are required to pay a downpayment of at least 1500 minas for the land upon which they plan to settle, to help cover the initial settlement costs

III.01B - Donations to the Royal Coffers prior to their gaining land count towards this downpayment, and if they donated that amount or more to the Coffers, their downpayment is counted as already paid.

III.01C - A greater downpayment for the land may be paid, but offers the Vassal no extra claim to the land, nor any benefit at all outside of expediting the purchase of the land upon which they hope to live.

III.01D - The Down Payments for Armada Land Grants and Commoner plots are lower to mark their smaller size, and are to be worked out between the Admiralty, Procurator, and/or Crown and the Purchaser as appropriate to cover any remaining upkeep costs for the land around them.

Art. III.02: On Taxation

III.02A - The basic rate of the taxes are directly proportional to the square root of the area granted (e.g. a 75x75 meter plot would be 75 minas per week base tax), though all base taxes must be at least 60 minas, regardless of plot size.

III.02B - Any plot expansions shall increase this rate based on the new area (e.g. a fully expanded Barony (expanded by 40%) would be 88x88 meters, and thus 88 minas per week base tax).

III.02C - Any Outbuilding as defined in II.03A, with the exception of chapels, stables, animal pens, warehouses, and mills, shall incur an additional 5 minas per week in taxes per building.

III.02D - Any Hamlet as defined in II.03A shall incur an additional 15 minas per week in taxes per residence.

III.02E - Vassals may choose to levy taxes upon outbuildings or residences at their discretion.

GAcA_ns7bxcVctwJnTKxA6UD4FsWOFgLhY302uDJf86cZEfF4bEJqi3g-JfxRIvv48BjqYIaAH5MIYB91eIlJVGl6ioG4jO8vEtpKuudUkMeAh0_hCsw4cTlcXhQ3yeifq_wxMsLOj2L3WjyBw

Signed, 

HIS ROYAL MAJESTY, Adrian I, by the Grace of GOD, King of Balian, Viscount of Eflen and Anatis, Baron of Brucca,Valens, Malenos, Goza and Ciavola, Lord of Portoregne, Atrus and Monterosa, Warden of La Costa Rubinissima, Prince of the Holy Orenian Empire, Protector of the Heartlanders and the South, etcetera.

HIS ROYAL EXCELLENCY, Gaius var Ruthern, Viscount of Marsana, Amiratus of the Kingdom of Balian, Lord Seneschal of the Crown and Chief Minister of the Duana.

HIS EXCELLENCY, Robert Joseph de Lyons, Baron of Enderoca, Magister of the Kingdom of Balian

HIS EXCELLENCY, Sir Ephrem Kervallen, Baron of Tuvia, Knight of the Order of Saint Lothar, Minister of Finances & Procurator of Balian, Templar of the Archangel Michael and Inquisitor of the Canonist Church.

HIS EXCELLENCY, Casimir Marius Vilac, Baron of Valio, Patriarch of House Vilac, Secretary of the Interior, Camareiro of the Andromedan Court

Edited by Kingdom of Balian