[Your View] Armament Techlock

Armament Techlock  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Does Plate Armor Require a Change?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe Idk :3
  2. 2. Do Ranged Weapons Require a Change?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Is The Problem Actually Real?

• Yes
    • No

am i naive for thinking that someone who knows how to crp can play a mundane knight with a bow and a sword and wipe the floor with a great deal of mages

I'd rather see a way to implement a way to measure/enforce skill in archery than change emote counts. atm archery as a niche is entirely obsolete because literally anybody and their mom can pick up a bow and be a legolas, meaning there's no point for characters to pursue archery as a skill because the skil level is literally all the same. I know its not exactly simple but I care WAY more about that than nerfing or buffing emote counts by 1. making bows 2 emotes isn't going to help you become a more skilled archer in RP, it just means you can bow spam better like everybody else during CRP

Plate armor SHOULD be strong, but not everyone should be in plate armor. Random infantryman #241 doesn't need, and probably can't reasonably afford, plate armor. However I am pleased to see most people wearing suits of armor that are not full plate. I think if anything plate armor should be stronger, too many times has someone just said "Erm, ackshyualliee I hit you between the plates."
Ultimately for plate armor I think it is more or less okay in my experience, and is a problem of whether people are roleplaying reasonably.

Bows should be 2 emotes. I think I am the only person I've ever seen try to be an archery main, and why should others go out of their way to nerf themselves by firing 1 shot of a bow when they could have stabbed someone three times? Or throw a potion? Or do anything else? I think bows should be 2 emotes, but much like my last point I think people should also be reasonable about it and not carry more weapons than they can carry. Though most annoying about archery is rolling bad and just wasting 3 turns, it would be nice to waste only 2 turns instead. I think a happy medium could be 3 emotes for the first shot, followed by 2 emotes for subsequent shots as long as the bow stays in your hand, a sort of 'connection' action required of equipping your bow.
Any argument about bows having to stay weak because 'muh magic' is made by mages who are too salty and too unimaginative to use their overpowered magic to good effect, and should be disregarded entirely.

2 minutes ago, xo31 said:

am i naive for thinking that someone who knows how to crp can play a mundane knight with a bow and a sword and wipe the floor with a great deal of mages

Yes

Define definitively rigid things that the types of Armour are good and bad against perhaps? For example...

Heavy (Plate/Half-Plate);

- Weakness: Heat/Cold, Magic

- Resistant: Physical

Medium (Scale/Chain/Hide);

- Weakness: Piercing

- Resistant: Slashing

Light (Gambeson/Leather);

- Weakness: Physical

- Resistant: Falling, Heat/Cold, Magic

Where they in good faith RP out the damage in accordance with the guideline set.

Posted (edited)

2 Emotes for Bows (Non Armor-Piercing Ranged Weapons, including hand crossbows) 16 block range or roll.

3 Emotes for Crossbows (Armor-Piercing Ranged Weapons, including longbows) 16 block range or roll.

There, I fixed it, I fixed Lord of the Craft.

Plate armor ubiquitous part of the setting, people want to roll with it as apart of the server's fantasy. Think there should be a crack down on only being able to RP what you have in your inventory. Players must have the item to represent the armor they wear on their skins if they want to it function in combat, no different from enchanted or ST signed items.

ALTERNATIVELY: I think an Equip Load system would be the best way to move people away from platemail, limit how many weapons you can be carrying while in armor so combat roles are more clearly defined. Only problem is this would likely create overhead for moderation and rulelawyering so not sure how viable it is.

Edited by Fishy
addition

For bows, it's already setup so that a slingshot can fire in 2 emotes for 10m. So just make it so that an archer can fire in 2 emotes at short range and 3 emotes long range.

Crossbows are a counter to the mage blocking spells.

Like trav said I fear shortening the emote count for bows would be too big of a buff against magic users. Mundanes shouldn't be able to pick up a bow and easily outclass a mage with no drawbacks. The benefit to using a bow compared to magic is it takes no slots, no effort to learn irp, and has little drawbacks on the persons physical and mental state. If a mage can't even get a spell off against generic knight #147 because they are too busy blocking or dodging two emote bows then bows would be too op.

Also if bows get buffed via emote count then there should be a limit to how many arrows someone can shoot, quivers aren't infinite and mages are limited on mana, so i think limiting archers based on arrows would be a good idea

I think the problem regarding plate armor and ranged weapons really comes from the wonky scaling systems we have on LOTC. The reality is that all players abide simply by how strong + how tall you are = the basic formula for power. The only way that we alter this formula is by subbing strength for utility (e.g. mages can cast spells, instead of swinging sword you could throw potion to trap people, etc.).  The one thing we distinctly lack on LOTC is a metric of dexterity that we go by. Not to say add a dex roll or something stupid like that, but maybe limit what a person can do while in plate and give the rangers the wet dream of being able to kite and shoot easier. Add in some scaling very similar to strength that covers the vast and many facets of 'dexterity and agility'. Also adding hard limits to what armor does what (e.g. plate armor can absorb x amount of hits, half plate is x-1, chain is x-2,) and then adding some unique properties to each armor (plate is better against blunt relative to chainmail, which is better against stabbing, etc etc) would give each of them a balanced role if put relative to what you can do in a single turn. 

These are all just random ideas to throw out there, but I think if we went by more systems than just my strength vs ur strength or my magic vs my antimagic is going to far better work in the lotc world instead of whatever socially agreed upon system we have now. 

From what I understand, acquiring plate armor is as simple as having a skin that has plate armor on it, and full sets are the most common/accessible types of those skins. Because of that accessibility, they've become the default for individual players and nations. Having more weaknesses suited to a "default" would definitely help.

i'll add guns when LOTC (the fantasy medieval RP server) dies and we create a fantasy victorian steampunk RP server in its place

Posted (edited)

Armor
Tldr: You want RP quality, not armor nerfs. Not an issue as far as I've seen.

armors good as is, and i think implementing a new 'system' for armor would be tedious. When people complain about plate armor, in my experience its always been because of people who rp it poorly. You don't want plate armor to be nerfed, you want to have a fair fight.
changing movement would also be far too much of a detriment to use plate armor- that should only be reserved for especially heavy sets like carabrum or stone blood magic armors which we do already have. Then again I haven't really come across toxic crpers who 'abuse' heavy armor.

Ranged Weapons
Tldr: Range builds are fine, just use the right tool for the right job. Bows don't work on everything just like how maces or axes don't.

ranged weapons don't have much of an issue either, they are pretty decent and throwing weapons have potential to be very good against all sorts of armored opponents. We don't need to add full on crossbows/bows to that list since some can already punch through certain types of armor. Being shot at by a crossbow hurts and will probably push you when you are in plate armor, even if it does no immediate damage. Even then- use a SLING (ranged blunt damage, only fell out of use IRL because it's hard to use- not because it's ineffective) or BOLAS (wraps around a target, ensnaring them usually) or another ranged weapon that takes advantage of the fact that the target is armored.
You wouldn't want to use a mace against an unarmored target, for example. It might damage them still, but an axe or something sharp would work better.

Balancing Schizophrenia
Tldr: I don't think the issue exists. Magic is just strong, and makes rangers look weak.

the magic crp meta is definitely having an impact on these things though, pretty much every voidal mage minmaxxes their magics nowadays. why shoot arrows when you can yeet explosive fireballs, throw three warhammer-force spikes at arrow speed, spam air sweep/air evo spells to stun lock, summon 3 200-pound pets to maul their enemies, or teleport anywhere in sight. It isn't that ranger builds are weak, magic is just... really strong. Rangers/Throwing Weapon spammers are the only mundane semi-counter to them with their on average faster attack speed increasing their odds of interrupting a cast, but only if they don't have translocation or arent a scion (which they will have, if they are confident in fighting)- and interrupting a cast sometimes doesn't even expend mana in certain situations, making it only a small mistake on the mage's part rather than an actual blunder.
Therefor i don't think this issue exists, mages are just jacked as heck man.
If I struggled for 5 seconds trying to open a pickle jar, then watched a video of someone doing it in 1 i'd think i'd have weak hands too. Same applies to archers to mages- it takes a lot more effort for an archer to take down an armored foe compared to say, a walking talking M121A3 Commando mortor.

Edited by SlitheryC1

GIVE ME GUNS!

🏴‍☠️

1 hour ago, Fishy said:

2 Emotes for Bows (Non Armor-Piercing Ranged Weapons, including hand crossbows) 16 block range or roll.

3 Emotes for Crossbows (Armor-Piercing Ranged Weapons, including longbows) 16 block range or roll.

There, I fixed it, I fixed Lord of the Craft.

Plate armor ubiquitous part of the setting, people want to roll with it as apart of the server's fantasy. Think there should be a crack down on only being able to RP what you have in your inventory. Players must have the item to represent the armor they wear on their skins if they want to it function in combat, no different from enchanted or ST signed items.

ALTERNATIVELY: I think an Equip Load system would be the best way to move people away from platemail, limit how many weapons you can be carrying while in armor so combat roles are more clearly defined. Only problem is this would likely create overhead for moderation and rulelawyering so not sure how viable it is.

2 Emotes for bows and similar weapons without AP capabilities with a 16 block range

2 Emotes for javelins/thrown weapons with an 8 block range

3 Emotes for Arbalests/AP at a 16 block range

AND Half Movement speed while preparing a ranged attack. 

As for plate, the only way to change prevalence without creating an in depth armor classification system is probably to swing the other direction to total standardization of armor strengths. Just like how we have ferrum as the "metal standard" and most of the open materials are ferrum strength but with aesthetic or minor utility differences (see anorum, kingstone, black ferrum, daemonsteel), armor should be defined as functioning universally the same with its status as plate, chain, crocadonk hide, etc merely a matter of flavor. 

Alternatively, the typified weakness based on plate, leather, or chain classification would be based on "armor majority", and force players to just pick. Without touching the combat rules, there isn't really a good way to deal with the basic armor systems. Maybe blue janitors should extend the olive branch to the green jannies and work on that. 

34 minutes ago, Llir said:

i'll add guns when LOTC (the fantasy medieval RP server) dies and we create a fantasy victorian steampunk RP server in its place

You don't play.