On the Topic of War- From a Vikelan Citizen

LoxyTheReindeer

This missive was attached below the warclaim missive posted by the orcs, a few days afterwards, by a single hooded figure. 

I have not been with Vikela long. I have not lived very long for an elf, in general. But I have seen horrors beyond most people's comprehension, and I believe, horrors most people shouldn't have to face. War is an unfortunately common phenomenon and a horror that many, if not most denizens will face in their lifetimes. It is cruel. It is unjust. But most wars, at least, have a proper reason for being waged.

This one does not.

From the senseless burning of a wonderful feat of nature whilst claiming to be on the side of the jungle, to declaring an innocent memorial of a panda a "daemonic statue", to the desire to exterminate the Vikelans, who have already suffered for generations, for the simple desire to live in peace. To call this war senseless is an understatement. To call it tragic is to deprive our citizens of justice, and to call it unnecessary is to beat a dead horse. We have done nothing but defend ourselves and our home and yet we receive constant ridicule and belittlement because others do not have the courage to stand up to the orcs. The orcs which call themselves "honorable," but I ask you- where is the honor in this?

However, we've faced worst circumstances and still come out united, this will be no different. We have lost the first battle, this is true. But we stood and faced the enemy as one force and refused to run from danger. We looked death in the eyes and said, "We are not afraid." We will not cower like beaten dogs. We will not run with our tails between our legs. We will not give up the home we have worked so hard for. So come for us orcs. Come for Ubuntu. We have proven that we have spirit in our fight and courage in our hearts, and the world has seen this. And we will not fall.

This I promise you. No matter how many you rally, or what weapons you bring, we will fight with more honor than you could have ever imagined possible. For we fight for the noblest cause- to protect what we hold dear.

-Ivacia Kinsett, Magistrate of Vikela

Edited by LoxyTheReindeer
Grammar- really bad run on sentence at start.

[!] Another missive is attached under Ivacia's own!

They set fire to a tree unbelonging to the jungle lands in the first place, they helped it. You try to present yourself as unbiased - though your statement and your words reek of it. All the while you bare a title from Viklean lands. 

In the end your people will merge with Vortice, and you all can go back to romancing one another with shallow conversations. Death is avoidable, and war is nothing near peaceful or just.

- The Bog Druid, Vikela Downfall Enthusiast.

28 minutes ago, LoxyTheReindeer said:

So come for us orcs. Come for Ubuntu. We have proven that we have spirit in our fight and courage in our hearts, and the world has seen this. And we will not fall.

Spoiler

o4U9EjQUZErj148OAkBzi9hIsABivW6urUg7E~tplv-photomode-zoomcover:480:480.jpeg?lk3s=b59d6b55&nonce=11795&refresh_token=f6121afd54ba0698d00da3d3161bdc0e&x-expires=1719759600&x-signature=1S8snOAgJk0XDnolA5tjrPdgYcM%3D&shp=b59d6b55&shcp=-

Vylandris Vuln'ibar amusingly reads of the Vikelan steadfast, though failing, defence. He muses over what this war will mean for the coming stability of the southern and even eastern realms. War was coming. Would he be ready if a war reaches his doorstep? Only time will tell.

Rhak'Dom publishes his message in response, using a Goblin scribe to carry it across many leagues to a mailbox and neatly deposit it. This letter crossed vast distances over many months. An immense amount of gold had gone into this endeavor, the message bearing the official seal of the Clan Dom. Who could say how long it took before this private citizen's address? In fact, how much gold had been paid to smuggle the thing inside where censorship had been enacted to restrict the flow of information?

I do not care, the missive said. I shall kill you and restore the honor of Pingsheng you colonial dog.

Sincerely, Rhak Dom

Galahad Nullivari soon issues a missive of his own shortly after the Vikelan Magistrate.

I recall a time when my ethics were tested.

I was younger than I am now, a boy who hadn't yet stained his blade and tried his might. Though it was not I who suffered bodily scars that night it happened, I remember it more than I'd like to. That night, I pondered the dichotomy between the bond I shared with my kin, and the blood I shed with my family.

Now, I stand on the cusp of hallelujah, something daring and promised and close, like a ship you can see cresting the horizon. But I'm reminded that these upbringings are ill-had without consequence.

My people, as is their wont and right, question the ethics of this war. Their inquiries are not born from disapproval or treachery, but the need to understand. It's in our nature to ponder and surmise. In contrast,
your questioning is not one of philosophical exercise, nor one I can easily dismiss. You question out of sun-blistering hatred and visceral fear. I understand. It would be cruel and dishonest of me to ask that you do not weep for the displacement of your people. Yet, I find there are parallels to be drawn between what was said by my people, and the Vikelans who fail to comprehend the essence of this war and instead deny reality. That night, as we sat bundled around a little bonfire in the north, it was asked: Are trees truly a thing worth waging war for?

Wars have been waged for less.

It's a question both sides of the war have and will ask, yet the answers are like night and day. Orcish theology is no such thing to discredit as you do, lest you further discredit yourselves as atheistic heathens who once cried for the protection of the Canonists. You may do that, or choose to be a people with even a semblance of principles.

So, which are you?

Galahad Nullivari

Andria settled into her chair, her fingers lightly tracing the edges of the missive. The familiar handwriting caught her eye, and she began to read, silvery blonde hair still streaked with dirt and ash from recent events.

With a sigh, she murmured, "It seems we cannot quell the spirit of our people. They will always rise for what they cherish, for what they believe in."

A hooded man put up his own message underneath all the others. 

"War is rarely just, and always bloody. I write today to speak of the war, not to mourn for it. But I have a question to anyone asking. Does Lurak's claims match their response? Let me ask all those reading this with knowledge of the war. Who. Struck. First? Who were the aggressors who stirred up such instability in the first place? Who drenched the earth with blood first? I will not give my answer, for that would disrespect Lurak, who as you know, are an honorable nation. Let me ask you, what has Vikela done that other nations haven't that justifies this war? Was it the tree? Was it the statue? Was it simply existing? But I do not speak to bring shame to Lurak, who as you know, are an honorable nation. I have also taken notice, that many who have taken the side of Lurak, who as you know, are an honorable nation, have stated their desires here to be wishing for the dissolution and death of the Vikelan people, and any who dare to show sympathy to such a dangerous nation, for Lurak as you know, are an honorable nation, who surely must have good reason to go to war."

"To those who know Vikelans, not the country, but the people in it, do you know anything those people have done to warrant such violent death and displacement? Were the reasons for conflict stated by Lurak, who as you know, is an honorable nation, so vile and inhuman that it warranted such a violent stir against the Vikelan citizenry? Other nations can surely be said to be guilty of far worse. But then, does that mean that Lurak, who as you know, is an honorable nation, will show restraint on such charges greater and more terrible than Vikela's? If so, then Lurak, who as you know, are an honorable nation, would not be so honorable as to let themselves stand still when there is war to be fought! And to those who fear the rising threat of the darkspawn in the north, who have already shown that they are not content to stay trapped in the cold, dark regions of the world, does this war not interfere with our focus on such a dangerous threat to us all?"

"To those who say they have no stake in this war, see it yourselves. Do not sit back and stay out without first truly knowing what is occurring in this war. There is rarely a war where the only people impacted are from the two nations fighting it, so let me ask the people of Aevos. Think of those who you know and care about who are impacted by this war. Think about what goods come from either nation involved, that make your days just a little bit better. Think about how such instability leads into further instability for far more people down the line. And now once again, think on the reasons given for launching this war. IS. IT. JUST? Could there really have been no other response from Lurak, who as you know, are an honorable nation, than complete and total war to annihilate Vikela? For war, as you all know, is rarely just, and always bloody. To those who are unwilling to take a stance out of fear of being alienated, you are the ones who I shall not be afraid to shame here. It is one thing to not care, but to be unwilling to take a stance purely out of the fear of how others will react is cowardice of the most unconscionable degree. Those who stand while soil turns to sand will fall for anything of importance striking them from behind. Here lies the momentous issue of total war. Shall you stand still as its fires rage around you, so close to burning yet far away enough that you choose to ignore it as it spreads? IS THIS WAR SO JUST, YOU WOULD INVITE ANOTHER?"

"But, of course, surely it would have to be, for it to be anything else would shame Lurak, who as you know, are an honorable nation."

Edited by Ryfin Chany
Wrong formatting

Lilliandriel does the kruggie, before wiping the blood of Vikaelans off her blade. Too much talking and missives. Not enough killing. 

Daal sat up in the Hexicanium eating an old booth with a skeletal leg still in it. Moments later a undead slapping him and taking its legs back. Cursing him out all the while